As the world transforms into a cohesive unit, social media platforms keep on sprouting on a regular basis trying to compete with the market giants. Twitter is one such name that has been in the game for a very long and has been one of the most sought-after social media platforms that even politicians and celebrities cannot resist joining.
It might happen that you joined Twitter years ago when the ideologies and inspirations were different and now you wonder how to change Twitter username then don’t worry, it is very much possible to change the username at Twitter so that you can retain your followers and all of your previous posts.
Sometimes, it happens that an account that has been in hibernation mode for years, now you want to revive it all of a sudden, it is doable. Fortunately, you can revive your old Twitter account by changing the username,
Here are options for how to change Twitter username and what are the best ways to do it. Let’s have a look:
How to change Twitter username?
You can follow these steps to change your Twitter username.
- Step 1 – Click on the more button from the navigation bar.
- Step 2 – Click on Settings and privacy.
- Step 3 – Click on Your account.
- Step 4 – Click on Account information.
- Step 5 – You will then be prompted to type in your account password in order to confirm it’s you.
- Step 6 – Under the tab of account information, update the username which is currently listed in the username field. If the desired username is taken, you’ll be directed to choose another one.
- Step 7 – Now click on the Save button.
A lot of social media users take their usernames seriously and for them, it is more than just a name, it is their identity in the virtual world. On Twitter, the username represents the person and leaves an impression on the person who reads the tweets or visits the profile.
It is very important that you choose the twitter name intelligently so that it can appear professional and also give a feel of the business that you do if it is a professional profile.
On the other hand, if it is a private profile, even then you need to make the username easy and accessible for people so that they can find you on social media easily and tag you in relevant posts if they want.
Why do you want to change your Twitter username?
There are multiple reasons why a person wants to change their profile username on Twitter. Even if you have been using the same username for years, it might be possible that the username has become obsolete or just irrelevant in the fast-paced world.
Twitter allows you to change the username anytime without losing the followers and the posts and all the precious interactions that you have made through that particular account.
Here are some of the top reasons why people want to change their usernames on Twitter:
- The name of the brand has been changed and now rebranding must be done therefore the name of the business profile must be changed as well.
- The current username doesn’t gel in with the new strategy of the business. If the username is not strategic, it will not have a lasting impact on the users who might be potential customers, therefore it needs to be changed. A username might not be strategic if it’s too long or is childish or unprofessional.
- The clientele has changed and therefore this has resulted in the change of business strategy, therefore username must be changed to reflect the new innovative look of the brand to cater to the new distinguished clientele.
- One of the most sought reasons behind changing of username on Twitter is that it is inconsistent with the other usernames on different social media platforms.
Be affirmative when changing the Twitter username
It is very simple to change the username on Twitter but the decision of changing the username must be well thought out. A change in the username might result in loss of customers as it can create confusion among the followers if they are not informed about the change beforehand.
This kind of transformation also causes a loss of followers when the new username is difficult to remember and people are unable to tag you on their posts because they don’t remember the new username.
Make the right call
If you are affirmative that you want to change the username on Twitter, then it is best to keep a few options in mind and then decide from amongst them. Think about the best-suited username that will reflect your personality and also keep in mind that if you want to keep the followers with you then you cannot change the username over and over again. You have to come up with a username that will stay with you at least for good years in the future and also remain with you so that you don’t have to go through the changing of name process again and again.
It might happen that the username that you have decided is already taken, then you have to come up with another unique username.
If you cannot secure the desired username, then there are always slightly modified options available that will be relevant as well as memorable and last with you for a lifetime.
Options to change the Twitter usernames
Once you are all set and determined to change the username, there are two ways to get the job done without losing your old posts and followers:
- 1st option- Update Twitter username on existing account: This is the easiest way of changing the username of Twitter by simply editing the name in the settings of the account which is already existing on the social media platform.
- 2nd option- Create a new account with an existing username: This is the second way of changing the username on Twitter but it is slightly complex as compared to the first option. This option is referred to as the “squat” method. You create a current username that cannot be claimed by anyone in the future.
You will create a new Twitter account with any username which will be readily available. Once it has been created, all you have to do is get the old username on this account with the help of an existing Twitter account.
You are all set to use the Twitter platform with your new username.
Remember once the new username has been established, try keeping uniformity of username on all social media platforms so that the consistency is built up.
This will help you to maintain your portfolio which includes Twitter, your business cards, email, other social media platforms, marketing tools, etc.
It is not difficult to change the username on Twitter but doing it over and over again must be avoided as this might result in losing followers and showing your incompetence to the world.